What is a Dental Check-up?
A dental check-up is a routine examination of your teeth and mouth made by a dentist. Dental check-ups and oral cancer screenings are important because, as with many medical problems, the earlier one identifies a problem and treats it, the better and less invasive the solution will be.
- At your initial dental examination you will meet the dentist and dental team, and you can discuss any specific dental problems or questions and treatment options you may have in mind.
- Your dentist will first discuss any medical problems you may have, as this may have an effect on your dental treatment.
- Next, your dentist will carry out a thorough examination of your mouth. This involves checking each tooth and making an assessment of your gums and the soft tissue (cheeks, tongue and palate) in your mouth. This is important for oral cancer screening as well as other diseases that can manifest in the mouth and of which you may be unaware. Dental check-ups are therefore necessary even if one has no teeth present.
- When the dentist checks your teeth he/she will look for any cavities (holes) and any problems with your existing restorations (fillings) or crowns (caps). To help investigate any problems the dentist may need to take x-rays of your teeth. This will help the dentist identify any further decay or abnormalities present between the teeth or under the gum.
- General check-ups at 92 Dental usually take 15-30 minutes.
When do I need a Dental Check-up?
- For children, six monthly check-ups are essential to monitor the development and health of their teeth. For adults the frequency of check-ups will depend on how prone they are to problems.
- At 92 Dental, we recommend an absolute minimum of one dental check-up every 12 months. This ensures that any oral health problems are prevented from becoming too serious.
- Your dentist will then discuss all the dental treatment options applicable to you and agree a treatment plan and fees. After a check-up please feel free to ask any questions particularly about any treatment options you may have heard of or read about that you feel may be suitable for you.
How much do Dental Check-ups cost?
The basic price of a check-up is £45 for an adult and free for children or students. If you are a new patient we recommend that we take x-rays of your mouth, which costs an extra £35. This takes the price of a consultation with x-rays up to £80 for an adult. For existing patients, we recommend that these x-rays are taken every two years so we can monitor any structural changes to your mouth.
Contact us form more information on 020 8748 1381 or Book Online